Friday, November 9, 2007

Book‘ease’...

With the same old drudgery for over a month, I started to feel as if I am made to fulfill some unfulfilled desires of a handful of twitchy intellectuals. Life seemed to be pissing at my own past enjoyments populating me with all the possible anguish that it could bestow upon me in this festive season. But there was one thing I knew for sure...that life was bloody determined to force every last vestige of me into boredom and misery.

However, I always know how to come out of anything that’s bogging me down. This time, I took to books. As I walked pass every shelf at Landmark, no matter what genre it was, I realised how that life inside me wanted to get back to its original blithe. From Jane Austen to Ken Follet, Indra Sinha to Gurcharan Das, from the Spanish dictionaries to the book of funny one-liners…everything felt special in its own way. The place looked gleeful and I seemed to have found the lost ease in those set of papers. The scent of those pages riffling randomly almost took me to trance. Nostradamus’s predictions, Occult, Sudoku and even kamasutra was bliss generically.

Books can never defraud you. That’s true. I have GBs of e-books on my laptop. However still, there is nothing that can beat those pages bound and spined. So here’s to anyone who’s at a loss to life and comfort. There is no other power than the power of words…no better ease than book‘ease’…


1 comment:

Sarang Mahajan said...

So very true! We have two good book-stores in my city, where I have spent countless peaceful hours. You need no company, just good music playing in the background and piles of books to flip through... to come out of any sort of gloom!

You have put your observations into words very nicely here, Kaveesh! Since I have felt the way you did at Landmark (I must visit this bookstore I have heard so much about), I enjoyed this little piece! :-)